EVGENI PLUSHENKO: I WENT SHOPPING
By Darjya Srebnitskaya
World Championship. The interview near the podium.
Evgeni Plushenko confessed that he's not satisfied with his skating. On his opinion his 3axel-3toe - combination was successful just with 80%.
- If Timothy Goeble did the third quad, could he win to you?
- I can't discuss that theme because I don't know if he has done it or not. If he was succeed in that element, that I'd tune to my skating in another way. But still I started after him and knew how he skated, that I decided to change nothing in my program.
- Mishin told you?
- No matter who. Good people.
- Actually while competitions your coach tell you how your rivals skate?
- In different ways. Sometimes I myself ask him about it and sometimes he tells me.
- At this championship there is very rigid judging. Did you feel it yourself?
- No, because I came not to win, but to show the good skating. And I didn't think about who would judge. At least I didn't discuss it with my coach.
- It's hard to believe that the athlete of your level doesn't think about the victory.
- Thoughts like that distract me, that's why I always say this way.
- Alexey Nikolaevich said that on the practice you did successfully quad lutz. But if your leg hurt, was it necessarily to make an experiment?
- I practiced lutz before my leg got hurting. The pain appeared two-tree days before the competitions, and after that I immediately refused that jump.
- Do you know that next season Yagudin will return to the team?
- Now I do. You told me. Let him skate! So I though he wouldn't go to the professionals. He just did a tactical maneuver - a year of rest.
- Are you going to do the same way?
- I'm not going!
THE CALL FROM A LAVATORY
- Why did you come to America so early, on the 16th of March?
- Because of acclimatization: I wanted to get accustomed to the warm weather. We lived near Washington, at our close friend Rashid Kadyrkaev home.
- What a mysterious story happened with you just after arriving to the States? Why did custom officers stop you?
- It perhaps was my fault that I didn't point in the declaration my future address in USA. I had my cell phone, which didn't work I don't know why and I can't call to Rashid. And when the custom officer asked me to call with a public phone I answered that I had no coins. He said: "I'm not interested in it". I stayed and waited for 20 minutes. Then I was tired of it. I came to the cop, which ordered: "Wait more". I locked in the lavatory and just from there I could call to my friend permanently adjusting the antenna and trying to connect with the service. I believe the custom officer carped specially.
- Did he recognize you?
- He asked: "Are you going to the Worlds? To win?" I swore that not, just to skate well. And wrote the address of the skating rink. He asked where it was. And what was further I already told you.
- Mishin was stopped too?
- No, he had a green card. And went through the special corridor, but I suffered in the queue.
- While training how did you spent your free time?
- Went shopping, because our baggage was lost. We've been waiting for it for 4 days. I had to buy the most necessary stuff: training costume, socks, boots.
And your skating costumes were also in the baggage?
- Only one. For Carmen. The rest I took with myself. And my skates too.
- After that story you didn't think about getting a green card and never giving thing to the baggage?
- I don't care the costumes. [Actually Zhenya said something like "F**k them, the costumes". But in Russian it's not an expletive, that doesn't sound rude. It's just very colloquial. I simply don't know how to translate it.] The main thing is my skates wouldn't be stolen. And about the green card I, to be honest, didn't think yet.
THE TEACHER WAS AFRAID.
- Evgeni, you improved your English so much, you have a good teacher?
- Not yet. Once I with my girl friend went in a car and I said to her: "I need to set about English". She answered: "I'll call my teacher just now". She called and wanted to agree about the time - for instance 2 o'clock. Warned that Plushenko wants to get lessons. The teacher said: "No, I won't be able to work with Zhenya". I don't understand why it happened so, and now I need to find a good teacher, who won't be so shy and afraid me.
- Who is, if it's not a secret, your girl friend?
- A regular person. She's not from the sport world. Just a girl.
- How are you going to spend your vacation?
- After the Worlds for two months I will skate in American Tom Collin's tour. Then I was going to come for a month to Turkey, but it's dangerous there, they shoot.
- You have no plans to live in America a bit longer?
- I already want to Peter [St.Petersburg]. I love my home very much.
- They say you're building a cottage together with Mishin?
- Yeah, together. He digs and I take the soil out of the site. A joke! And if seriously, I have such an idea - to build my own house. And Alexey Nikolaevich helps me with that project.
- Is that true that you both are dog fans?
- On Mishin's birthday I gifted him a sheep-dog. My mom called her Eva. A great dog, so powerful. I have two dogs: an American bulldog and a York terrier. Firstly I was going to gift a bulldog to my coach. But the dog should guard the territory above all, because Alexey Nikolaevich lives in the countryside. That's why I chose a sheep-dog.
Translated by Yulya (Pyatatchiok)
тнрнюкэанл : пегскэрюрш : яяшкйх
тнпсл : цняребюъ